18 April 2012

Day Four

Hi everybody, i woke this morning not feeling too crash hot  after being  excited when i nestled in my sleeping bag last night knowing i had escaped a night in the tent out in the rain and mud due to the FANTASTIC couple who run the Karridale Crossroads General Store , Les and Pya. I wasn't in a hurry to leave until i had a full breakfast which opened at 7 so i could at least spend my money at there shop.I ordered a full breaky  and this is where it starts to get good. When the breaky is ready, Pya calls me into the shop because Les is helping me pump my bike tyres up. Too my surprise an orange juice had been opened and poured into a glass already next to my meal, i grabbed another and after when i went to pay ,the drinks are on the house he said and here is a big bag of fruit and another drink. Call it sort of a sponsor contribution mate he said. Even Pya asked if i worked for BHP because I'm wearing one of there hats  as she has only just left them 10 months ago. She agreed Jackie, that i should be perhaps asking BHP for a small donation for running cost considering I'm wearing there hat.

On that note i must thank my other two sponsors TBE  Osborne Park for giving me a vest at half price after spending about 3000 dollars for the bike and all the excesserys.Thanks Wayne and Sam. Also The Four Wheel Drive Shop in Ascot for there reflector sticker, which they wanted to put on my back a couple of days before i left. Thanks Dave and Mick your generosity is overwhelming.

The ride was a difficult one to Pemberton,like i said  i had not slept too well and got off to a latish start which puts you on the back foot when your out of condition and only have so many hours to your destination.Met a couple of nice guys Chris and Blair and there pointed me in the right direction as taking the right road to Pemberton because it is a bit confusing as i didn't want to go to Nannup. Chris was telling me how he had walked 900 km across Spain and its all just a mental thing.Still that didn't really help me as he drove off in his vehicle and  i peddled off with my legs full of lactic acid and pulling faces.

The hills around that area are too frequent and too steep for a novice and it nearly killed me.Even so to the point i imagined that someone had put a garden gnome on the side of the road about 200 hundred metres ahead till i saw it move and realised it could be a little lepricorn. It was running away from me excited and flicking his limbs around as though it didn't want to be caught. I excellerated so i could catch it because it could be worth a lot of money alive. Just as i was about to hit it with my bike pump it turned around and said, SURPRISE. It was the Bro,Shane, Living The Dream. He bought me food and drink as only a true long distance cyclist would understand, its all about carbs.We spoke for a while till he settled down and off i went. Now thats why he is my mentor and coach and everything else, to come all that way to see me, hang on he's not checking on me is he that I'm not cheating. lol

This is what i don't want in my sleeping bag cuddling me

Mr Inspiration Man at the right time when i needed it 20 km out of Pemberton.Notice the hat Jack
Anyway its time for some sleep now,I'm stuffed and will be taking a day off tomorrow to recover so don't worry if the SPOT is not working. Hooroo Pastor Kelly



14 comments:

  1. You are going to have to get a better picture of your hat if you want to use it as supporting evidence. Now I have read day 4 it explains that Shane is driving around the South West as opposed to bike riding - did Pat send him to get your washing?? I had just put a comment in Day 3 before seeing your latest comments. Great to see you could put the new photos up - Grace will be pleased!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that Shane has "visited" you down South, can you expect the same little surprises from him on all the trip?
    Deciphering the log in words is fun...NOT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the vicarious birthday kiss mate - I feel younger already. As someone unkindly said to you a while back "You're getting on bro" so you'll know how it feels. Was that the inspiration for the ride? Anyhow,terrific effort to get where you've got so soon but good to hear you're taking a day's break - be kind to the body. We'll be sure to drop in at the Karridale X Store next time we're down there and say thanks to the very kind Les and Pya(and even buy some stuff). And Shane, don't get all inspired on me - we need a good for'ard hand for the last race on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grant - the hat needs to be down on your head more if you want sponsorship from BHP can't even see the logo and where is your bike helmet???
    Great to see the leprechaun turned up on the side of the road with sustenance (what a good brother)and enjoy your day off, you can get out and take more photos??????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grant - the hat needs to be down on your head more if you want sponsorship from BHP can't even see the logo and where is your bike helmet???
    Great to see the leprechaun turned up on the side of the road with sustenance and enjoy your day off, you can get out and take more photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Grant!
    We have been looking at your pictures (we like the snake!)and the roads you have been riding on.
    We hope you can make it all around Australia. We will be looking where you go.
    Good Luck,
    From Grade Preps and Ones in Miss Harris's class room
    St Pauls Primary School
    Mildura, Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FANTASTIC,To all the guys and girls at St Pauls Primary School thanks for keeping an eye on me and wishing me luck.Perhaps you can all find my spelling mistakes as an exercise in class. And about that snake,i was very brave to photo it so close even though it was stone dead.Any questions I'm happy to answer while i have internet connection.Thank you Miss Harris.

      Delete
  7. Apologies for taking Jorn away from the big picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But for how long,i heard a rumour that MR FANTASTIC might pop up in Albany for a hundred k's. Is this true.

      Delete
  8. How you tracking with that lactic acid slugger?You seem to be covering some pretty good mileage.Is this really gonna take 5 months!LOL Know you were worried about snakes mate but the smell should keep em outa your tent.Ha Ha keep up the good work bro,weather in Qld is bewtiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mate, don't talk about Queensland when I've only done only about 5 cm on the map and Queensland is about 2metres away. Who said anything about 5 months i meant more like 50 months the way i feel at the moment.Cant wait to get into this zone everybody talks about ,haven't actually met anyone in it yet.

      Delete
  9. Hello Grant
    I'm glad there are some generous people out there. Am sure there will be more as you ride on. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks ,sure is but i can't wait for the first person who upsets me and his name will be splashed over the blog so everybody can attack .Phone numbers and addresses will be published.lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Havnt you finished yet ! We thought you would have been around already. If you RIDE like you live life it wont take you 5 months.. ha ha.. Have fun and did you find that snake dave left on the road for you ?

    ReplyDelete