18 August 2012

Day 126 .Thank you everybody.

SPECIAL " THANK YOU " EDITION.

Thank you to the people who welcomed me into there homes and supported me on my trip.


Well I've been dreading to start to write this as i know its going to be a huge job to thank everybody who helped me cycle around this big Country of ours. It was supposed to be unsupported but I'm afraid i can't really say that i had no support. To start, let me start by thanking the people who welcomed me into there homes and looked after me when i visited there area.
My school mate Brian from Mylup near Bunbury who fed Yern and myself and provided  beds for the two of us on the first night, thanks buddy.
Big Brian


And my sisters friend (Jackie), Pam in Esperance who i had never met before but treated me like i had known her all my life and got me back on my feet with a luxury two day break when i really needed it. Left with presents of food flowing out of my panniers. Unbelievable Pam and thanks.
Life saver Pam.


Over and up to Sydney where Tony, Jen, Jack and Elle took me under there wing after one look at me and fed me and let me just relax like a sloth to recover for a couple of days. Thanks guys and good to catch up.
Tony,Jen,Jack,Elle,Scout and me.


Then up to Brisbane where Jim had organised Jeanette and Pietro to bring me back to life after losing 17kg somewhere along the road. Pietro who i had never met before thrilled me with his experiences in the body building world and was responsible for getting me back on track with stabilising my weight again. Thanks guys, Jim would of loved to of been around to see that he was the main instigator of the visit.
Jeanette and Pietro


Mackay was a big one, being met by Greg 20km before the town because he was so excited to see me and then having to be dropped off South of the town on my departure to the North . Made us both laugh . Kate and Greg turned it on as though there was no tomorrow. Cooking and entertaining me no end with scenic tours of Mackay. Greg helping me with my bike and sneaking food parcels in my panniers without me knowing and i finding them days later. Legends.
Greg and Kate


Up to Mossvale near Cairns to my sisters house, Deborah and Steve who looked after me like there own brother. Steve never stopped pampering me and cooked the whole time. Tours of Mossvale and Cairns, to bike shops and haircuts where not a problem. Deborah supplied me with more ointments and creams known to man over the three day period for some minor problems which i won't go into. Well done guys.
Steve and Deb.


And the lucky last is Kathy from Jurien Bay who was the only person on the whole trip to offer me a place to stay who i had never met before or new anyone i knew. True to her word she welcomed me in to her home and supplied a nice bed and a warm shower and without a fuss cooked dinner and breakfast . Good country girl.
Kathy and Lady.


Thank you to the people who blogged and commented to keep me sane and focused.

To everybody who contributed to the comment section of the blog, i salute you. Without the support of the blog comments it would of been like playing a sporting match with no supporters attending and expect the players to play at there best. Impossible. To ride around Australia and blog as you go does take a bit  of effort so the more people who got involved and enjoyed it made it easier for me and was more than happy to do it.

Without getting into too small a detail about thanking anything that moved , i am going to have to thank some very special people.

Linds, Jude, Bluce, Monica, Tim, Doc, Jackie, Grace, Frz's, Jono, Kate, Joy, Yern, Sharon,Lorraine, Joe, Carrie, Dave, Mick, Mike, Cindy,Toni, Glenda, Andrea, John.(F.C), Kelvin, Deano, Symsy, Selwyn, Mary, Colleen(Mildura) ,Daniel T, John A, Sue A,  Jeanette, Pietro, Dan J, Shane K, Louise, Meg, Brendon,  J.S. Colleen (Horsham Gang) ,Les, Pya, Tanya Du Leeuw, Dan, Tina, Mick, Pam, Stevie B, Sylvia, Simon, Megan, Georgia, Rat, Mel,Waldek, Barbie, Pete, Keith.E, Tom, Navy Steve, Heino, Patrina, Derek,  Alan, Aasta, Savanna, Breeanna, Annabell,Hannah, Luke, Jacob, Zachari, Krysteele, Xavier, Tyler, Blake, Nacinta, Peter ( Monica's dad )The Hazzas.
Also i would like to thank the guys who came and saw me off on the morning  i left, (5.30am) , J.S, Clayton, Ryan, Brian, Pete, Nah and Grant.

And a special mention of all the people who joined in over the course of the ride to join in and ride with me, Yern , Nah, Grant, Monica and her dad Peter.

Thanks to the behind the scenes workers

Pat and Joy phoning all the time and holding the fort while i was away and taking care of Pearl . Also Jackie for paying any of my bills which came in while i was away, and with the help of Doc, sending  money orders through when i was in a jam over credit cards and needed cash.
One more important guy to be thanked is Joe P for buying a new bike light and getting it to the Truckie's , Mick and Daryn to make the delivery on time on the nullabor.

And last but most important of all  thanks to the man himself who inspired me all the way, may he R.I.P

Jim Kelly's holiday home only.
AWARDS

I'm afraid no awards can be given for the best or most bloggs or acts of kindness to anybody,as you are in my eyes, all equal winners.

Unfortunately this is as much as i can do until i can personally thank you guys again when i see you.......... and as Dean Martin said to Jerry Lewis after the last show (blog) of a  twenty year partnership ..."Thanks for the ride."..and then  hardly spoke again to each other in there lives. lol

P.S. One more bloggy tomorrow at the finish line with photo's to wrap up this epic once and for all.

Bye for now,

Grant and Jim.........missing you already.

26 comments:

  1. Good on you, Grant. Is the batcave the resting place of Jim? Tim's dad always used to sleep overnight in a cemetery when he was a young man - said it was the safest place to sleep. Thank you for sharing your inspirational journey with us. You are a legend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well what can I say Big Guy?

    I could say that 20,400 folk have read, said or blogged but no i'll just say 'Well done young man', you don't realise how you entertained us all for the last 5 months and gave us all a little inspiration in our daily lives.

    For fear of getting all emotional I'll just sit and wait for the "Arrival" photos and comments and wish I was there with you as a lot of us blogger will be with you in spirit at Pearl Parade tomorrow.

    Cheers from Malaysia and be safe on those last kilometers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maaayte, all the best for tomorrows final ride in, could get a bit emotional i'm guessing, hope you get a huge turnout; the weather holds off and it all goes well
    Cheers Kelv & Trace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie, Daniel and Doc18 August 2012 at 16:44

    The pleasure was all ours Grant...one more sleep! Jim has got the tandem here - we are heading out for a trial run after a cup of tea. Daniel is riding tomorrow and Grace is all set to go - so see you at Sorrento Batman.

    Jackie, Daniel and Doc xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops got the date wrong on the city to surf - it is the 26th not this weekend but I was able to score you a t shirt if you want a change of clothes to ride in!!

    Jackiexx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don,t think it,s fair...no awards.
    That was the only reason I blogged...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello Grant, amazing ride and achievement.I have enoyed the blog and the stories, will miss it not being able to laugh along with you anymore. Our lives are gunna be very boring. Well just a little bit. I know its not over yet and I guess the best stories are yet to come.. Welcome back, and Jim as well..

    will see u at Sorento.. rain or shine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heres to all that care like grant, we all give our parents grief, we all put our parents through hell, we all live and learn from our parents and soak it all up like sponges, without our parents we are nothing, without our parents we have no direction, but with them the world is our oyster and achievements are above and beyond take a leaf out off grants book and Mr jim kelly.....And get on a bike, ride all the way around australia to say thanks jim and pat you made me who i am and made me a mentor to the people who look and learn and listen and care here here thumbs up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!symsy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm...we had a try out of the tandem tonight....we might be in a bit later for the celebrations as I think it is going to take more than the 30mins that the good Dr has estimated to arrive from Sorrento....

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Mate, thanks for the thanks but for me I really want to Thank you. Your awesome achievement has been an inspitation for me and a brilliant lesson for Ella and Jack on life...How one can achieve goals and do anything we set our mind to if we are passionate, committed and prepared to put the work in. Your ride has been a great lesson for them to grasp that thinking. Thanks for that.

    Enjoy the day

    Frz

    ReplyDelete
  11. You forgot about Tassie,better go back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunday morning: chilly here in the East.
    I think we bloggers should be thanking you. I've jumped out of bed for the last 4 months with a little more enthusiasm and energy to face the day. Every time I thought of you pushing the pedals, the little trials and tribulations I faced seemed, and of course they were, totally insignificant. What amazed me, was that you didn't let rain, headwinds, cold or heat deter you from your goals.
    It was a great journey to share, and experience and I feel like I have come to the end of a long journey. I will definitely have withdrawal symptoms for a while, just as if I have come back from somewhere far away.
    Well done!
    Last niggling question? Did you sleep in the cemetery or did you just turn the blogger off there? Was that truly the finish line for you both?
    Have a wonderful day today, enjoy the companionship as much as you can after being 'out in the boonies' for so long,
    hugs from Mildura!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As they say in the classics ""Thanks for the memories ! " and for taking us armchair cyclists for the ride , we enjoyed every minute of the trip !!
    Fantastic blog !!

    J.P

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY!!!! 4.30pm E.S.T. and the famous blogger says you have arrived at a house, high on a hill, in Pearl Parade.
    At last! Wooo Hooooo!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just phoned the 'hero', Yes, he's home!!!

    What a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing more to say but well done Grantis you made it home safe,hope the entourage from Sorrento went to plan.A ride of a lifetime and you sort of made it look easy.
    No more blogging!!This is gonna be tough.
    Glad you home from Jono n Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you also to everyone who made it to the Afternoon Tea yesterday at Pearl Parade, to celebrate Grant's monumental achievement.It was just so lovely to see you all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back GW/C*@*@*@K, Long live the Magnet, just think they will all be coming back to knock on your front door.

    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eh! Eh! (This is the swedish Hello) Huge congratulation Grant on a fantastic and I'm sure thrilling achievement. I could hardly believe the coincidence as I've been away from the blog for a while, and to come back to it today and find out you just arrived yesterday! It will take me a while to catch up on all the comments though. Again congratulation and as you said yourself "YOU HAVE BEEN OUT THERE AND LIVED THE DREAM" So what's next...........?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Everyone, my secret squirrell has told me that Shane Kelly...remember him... (he still has his arm in a sling since the last time he got on the bike), and Grant are going to take up a challenge. Shane to ride from Port Augusta to Perth with Grant starting at Mildura at the same time racing to catch him & race on to Perth..Hmmm...I wonder what Grant will do on day 2...?

    Bring it on

    Frz

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello!! We are still waiting for the final blog !! Get off your bum and start typing , now that you aren't PEDALLiNG !!!!

    J P :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done Grant, you are a better man than me and an inspiration. Your dad would be proud. Have a well earned rest and be happy in the knowledge that you completed one great edventure that will live with you for the rest of your life.
    Regards Navy Steve

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks mate, pleasure to have met you on the trip and happy that you enjoyed and were a part of the adventure. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Grant, Phyllis and Charlie Esau - met you at Newcastle Waters - oats for breakie! young campers giggling all night outside your tent, etc!!! Just so excited to see that you made it home safely and very successfully - CONGRATULATIONS, that is just fantastic. We found it a privellage to have met you that evening and to follow you along the road. Take it easy now and just enjoy the glory!
    Regards from us both and best wishes for the future. May see you when we get down south, but at present in Broome. Keep Smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  25. G'day guys,of course i remember you and the offer to stay at my place is still on. Just take your time to smell the flowers knowing you have a place for your caravan in Perth.

    ReplyDelete