23 August 2012

Day 127 The Finish Line.

Day 127 was going to be different than all the other days as it was going to be the last and final day of the trip and enable me to bring closure to my fantastic cycling adventure that i have enjoyed with you guys from the start to the finish. After Yern and Sharon took care of me the night before and the following  morning , Yern and I headed off to the Sorrento beach car park where we where joined by about 14 other riders to ride the last 10kms of the 15000kms to complete the Memorial ride in honour of Jim . On arriving at 1`pm we where greeted by about 25 people and  handshakes, hugs and kisses where going off, and i felt like a super star for a few minutes until it gradually subsided. But wait there's more, like  true good card players they left the best card to the very last and produced the JOKER, all the way from Mildura.Victoria. That's right folks , the greatest blogger the world has seen, Linds, had travelled all the way over to witness the final day and ride alongside his great Uncle. I was truly moved by the effort.
Lindsay and I enjoying a Champers  at Sorrento Beach




The plan was simple enough to ride together but even the simplest plans go haywire and this did. We had riders breaking away from the main group as though it was a race to the finish line (Shane)  and others who  just wanted to see how far they could fall behind.
Some of the guys greeting me and trying to touch me.lol

Doc and Grace trying to work out how to get on their  bikes.

The race is on with Clayton a nose in front and Joel trying to get in my slip stream.
Riding toward home was an effortless exercise as i knew the end was near and  coming over the crest of the last hill i could see more people congregating around the front of my home so they  could clap us as we entered  through the gate.  Around the back of the house we went to the finish line where streamers where strung across two blown up Kangaroos by Joy, and we bunched up for a photo before i could not take it anymore and broke through like a true champion.lol
Home at last.
The effort that Joy went to provide a welcoming home party exceeded all my expectations. Tea, coffee, cup cakes and Pats scones with jam and cream created a nice relaxed atmosphere.
Special  "Aroundthepaddock" cup cakes 

A nice Welcome home banner was also hung above my back door...



Soon after arriving and attacking Joy, I deciced to get my speech out of the way to thank everybody for riding and coming along to celebrate the occasion.

Hello ....do i know you.

After the slightly emotional speech , Joy presented me with a very special gift  on behalf of everybody and a caricature picture.

A commemorative plaque in recognition of my achievement, dedicated to Jim Kelly 


On a final note, it was a fantastic home coming for me, celebrating with family and friends all enjoying ourselves together. It was just a shame that so many people who contributed to make the trip a  success couldn't attend but rest assured you were in my thoughts.

I really don't know how to end this other than to leave you with a couple of happy snaps.






















And to my favorite fan club, the kids for their lovely congratulation cards.Fantastic effort with all the writing and pictures.Thankyou.



As  Jim Kelly said, you're not a man until you've been around the paddock....well, i'm now a man.lol


16 comments:

  1. Congrats, Grant! Its been a blast following you from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now what do we (the Bloggers) do?

    The moment we have all dreaded has arrived, why has it always got to be me,me,me.

    Now that's over, what a ball biter of a finish, I would have loved to have been there but in my position you can't have an 'oil' man supporting green, carbon free travel, I could have been there with my Elephant Man bag over my head but alais this was not to be.

    The benifits of not being there is I will have a captive audience when i get home, I love the photo of Pearl and you wrestling in the back garden, I bet she was over the moon, as was Joy and last but not least Mummy.

    So back to my mundane life, sitting in Bars with nothing to show my new found friends, blank blogg sites wondering "What will the ol' sea dog get up to next time"?

    In signing off all I can say again without getting emotional "Thanks for the Memories" big guy!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you were sort of there Bluce with everybody repeating and laughing about your comments over the course of the trip. Great contribution from the start to the finish which made fun for me and a lot of other people. Catch ya when you get back .

      Delete
  3. Good on ya Tanya, great to have a fan all the way from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God, slide 17??? Is that Jim and Lindsay 'holding hands'?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeezus...just saw a photo of your bro Shane...mate he needs to get on the bike fast or is he having a baby or something?

    frz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing effort Grant, well done mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom,where the bloody hell are YOU. Joy and I will give you a ring soon to give you a kickalong. Keep positive and eat heaps.

      Delete
  7. We have been waiting with great anticipation for the final blog and it has been up for 17 hours before we read it! Tim turned 50 today and we are having a big shindig tomorrow night so we have been a little distracted. The photos are all wonderful and looks like the welcome home party was a great success. Well done everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeh,all good this end. Congratulations Big Tim and hope you have a great time entertaining the 70 people tomorrow to celebrate your big 50th today . Pat said Happy Birthday too and Joy sends her love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for creating what will be great memories for all us bloggers.
    You done good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME AND BEYOND!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations from St Pauls Primary School!
    A little picture of our excitement when you made it!

    Colleen xx

    http://collblogspot.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/blog-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done buddy, What an adventure you have had, and many a tale to be told next time you call in for coffee. Look forward to hearing them all over the next year or two ha ha....You are an inspiration to all those people who say they don't "have the time" or " i just couldn't do it" ! You have shown people anything can be done with the right frame of mind and a lot of determination. You are a champion to me and to a lot of the people who have followed you Grant,well done again and thank you very much for inspiring us to be better people in our day to day lives....Kind regards from mick,liz,matt,jess and zane ..

    ReplyDelete