15 June 2012

DAY 60,61 & Day 62

Day 60 i left the Maclean Town and rode toward Ballina  following alongside there quite big river system to my left. Very surprised the velocity of the water and even considered jumping in and floating down as it would of got me there faster ,but then spit me out into the ocean which would of been a problem. .Just before the next town ,Woodburn a Museum/Cafe called Little Italia appeared and i stopped for some morning tea. It was like a Subway type setup so i ordered the Davide 6 incher as the 12 incher wasn't available (never is). They say you can't beat a good Italian sausage.
Cant beat a  Davide 6 incher

 Funny how this Italian theme becomes the  norm for the days to follow with the people i meet. Once i had my fill of sausage ,off again.
Just before Ballina ,finally i had my first road rage after 60 days on the road by a young guy who was so fat that his eyes where just slits in his head. Imagine,  me in the zone, and a  station waggon on the other side of the road heading in the other direction and the drivers head comes out of the window and roars out "HEY YA DICKHEAD, IT'S RAINING"He was so angry his mouth opened up like a hippopotamus and i could see all his yellow teeth and his tonsils vibrating. The strange thing was that the sky was blue and the sun was shining and if that sent him over the edge, all i can say is thank God he didn't see me in Coffs torrential rain two days earlier he would of surely would of ran me over.
The brezze was pushing me along nicely and i needed to do as much as i could and not leave too much for the run into Brisbane the next day as the traffic would be a nightmare. Ended up crawling into Tweed Heads and looking for accommodation which is still in N.S.W. as i wanted to be a bit like Bluce  and have breakfast in one State, N.S.W and lunch in another , QLD.  Unfortunately it didn't work out and i went a further 1 km and parked in Coolangatta, QLD ready for my onslaught into Brizzy the next day.
Day 61 started off fine thinking that i would cruise along and take it easy,but that didn't happen. Before i new it i was on the M1 Highway which i new was illegal and dangerous and it was only a matter of time when Mr Fatty Plod stopped me on his motor bike and said"mate,your not allowed on the highway" I said i know that , I'm trying to get off it.lol  He asked where was i from and i told him Perth and i could tell he was in deep shock. He told me to take the next exit and proceeded to give me directions to Brisbane which didn't really make sense as i was still 80km from there. Ended up asking a guy on a bike for directions later, an Italian, who's name was Gino Baldini. He told me he was a gold medal winner in the 1956 Olympic Games for  an 80 km road bike race representing Italy.
Gino Baldini, gold medal winner for Italy

Quite a character for 82 yrs old , we had a real laugh and he said "ia speaka his langwidge"A true icon and full of life guy,and the last thing he shouted out to me as he rode off was, "do you remember Shirley Bassey",and i said yes,.and he shouted back "I supposed to marry her."......lol
Then i kept riding toward Brizzy asking directions and it all fell into place as soon as i saw the City in the distance. Having to look up google maps though just to confirm things all the time. Reached my base camp in Brizzy about 3pm, Jeanette's and Pietro's house with all the fruit.. Jennette being a distant cousin and her husband,Pietro  a 1994 Mr Universe with an Italian background and still built like a brick shithouse. The moment Pietro and i met we haven't stopped talking about body building competitors. Hey Jono , it all started as i got off the bike i told him that Ive got calves like Platsy and he couldn't believe i knew who he was. Pietro knows him from when he was about 18,and produced a photo to prove it.
Platsy and Pietro
Pietro meeting me at his front door ,hurry up and get in your letting the cold in.
Day 62 Jeanette and Pietro have been great to welcome me into there house. To have a winner of Mr Universe and many other competitions who's not up himself make my eggs on toast and do my washing and hang it out is truly a buzz. Also Pietro  has been giving me  a lot of advice for my  bike trip as far as diet goes because he did a quick calculation and worked out ,if i don't start eating better i will be about 25kg in weight when i get to Perth and that's if i get there. lol  No, to be serious if i can be for a moment, its been a hoot to be here and catch up with Jeanette and listen to all Pietro's true stories of the Schwarzenegger.Colombo, Priest ,Haney etc etc and just relax to take off early tomorrow..Eat your heart out Jono.P.S.Also when arriving in Brizzy something happened to me , since meeting Pietro i am now a full blooded Cottonwood mongrel supporter.
Anybody interested this is Linds new number as he still has a thing for collecting koalas

Monica, get on to Lavers council and start getting these installed,brilliant idea

Gettin there guys with your support.
Watching Bolliwood movie, Hollywood with Pietro the bad guy.lol

Jeanette and Pietro.

Mr Puniverse and Mr Universe


CHEESE
Lovely Jeanette and me.


52 comments:

  1. My god this guy has a pretty good bod Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Settle down Toni,it's a public blog so control yourself.lol

      Delete
  2. So where's the mention of skyping your other distant cousin "Lovely Lorraine"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry "Sweet heart Lorraine" i wanted to keep it our secret.

      Delete
  3. #Blush# ... That is all :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is classic stuff,you never know when your going to run into the real deal!Where was this dude when I needed him at Ventnor St,looks like he might dig a pretty mean leach drain!
    A bit of spray on tan for you mate and you look just like Pietro!!
    Well hope your journey to the base camp is a smooth one.Fair few D--kheads out there as the road rage man demonstrates but alot more good guys than bad.Will be tracking you into Rocky then I think you will only be 2 or 3 days away.I Fri 22nd till Tues 26th so pedal like a gingerbread man!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mate ,even the tan is the real deal.And i noticed you didnt call me slugger this time,is that because you might be carrying a bit more weight than me now.Yes you might be on the money when i will be arriving into Rocky ,but you know the rules,never speak about the future as it puts a curse on it.

      Delete
    2. At 93kg I might win the slugger contest,but you are-The Slugger!LOL
      Got the trailer ready mate,just pictured you and the bike laying down in it as I tow you away Hah Hah,So funny!
      You should be getting some bewtaful weather for the ride into basecamp,although it is considered cold winter weather by the local yokels at 26degrees and sunny.
      Me no more talk about future too -me no want curse!!

      Delete
    3. Mate I have calculated you must have travelled 170kms or so today so far,What the!!
      Is this Machine man pace gonna keep up for the next four days???You gonna be in town before I back home from work Slugger!!-Sure Kitty Kat will take good of you, he he.

      Delete
  5. I still reckon your body is best, however, you'll have to ride naked thru Qsland to get the TAN.
    I was worried the tracker played up again and you were stuck South of Brissy, but all's well that ends in Brissy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everytime i hit a city the bloody batteries go dead in the tracker and thats the best time to have it going so i can check nout the intricate way i went.

      Delete
  6. Terrific photos from Brissy. Great to hear you have had expert dietary advice for the run North. I hope this means you stop for more milkshakes, snacks and to enjoy the views. The Bruce highway goes forever and will present some real surprises, going from being the widest highway in the nation to the narrowest in parts. It will keep you on your toes.
    Looked up Baldini and he was certainly a champion winning lots of major races in his day. What a role model now in his 80's. Makes me feel pathetic, making up excuses why I can't even go for a walk some days. Today it's because I have a head cold. Huh!
    Loving the photos, the blog, and especially the tracker. My favourite map is the terrain. I like to see the hills coming up, (watch out around Gympie) and how quickly you pass them by.
    It's already 20C at 11am, enjoy! Soon you'll be complaining about the heat. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on Jude ,if yo0ur going to tell everybody when i have a tail wind be fair and tell them when its blowing in my face like today.hehehehehe

      Delete
  7. Hey,if it makes you feel pathetic what about poor Linds. He won a medal in 1956 and is still talking about it to strangers,46 years later. Thats what i will be doing if i finish this trip around,boring people for the next 46years.Look out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction .No Linds we no you didnt win a gold medal at the olympics,it was Gino and also my maths isn't that good either its 56yearts ago,my apologies.Don't forget i am trying to ride a bike and blog ,cut me some slack, teach

      Delete
  8. Hi Grant

    I did warn the Doc that he may feel a bit vulnerable as he reads this blog - not that I would set about to compare him to others - we all have our strengths!! Dont worry about boring us in years to come - we are certainly getting our share of fun and entertainment at the moment ...lots of LOL moments...thats ok but not when I have a daily routine of checking the blog on the train on the way home from work. Good to see that the hospitality is still shining through along the way. Take the advice re food intake as well - meat pies and milkshakes will not get you through. I was listening to a woman on the radio who said that the second biggest killer in Australia is the fact that people do not eat enough fruit and veg!! However, do as I say not as I do in the area of food consumption - lets not go there!! Looking forward to the next instalment...you may have to continue the blog when get back given that you have created such a dependency for us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do you mean, Grant? "Poor Linds"?
    I have never won a gold medal at the Olympics and I definitely never talk about my self, too much.

    One of the above statements is untrue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still keep an eye on you here on Mira Mar and it's terrific to see that you are doing so well and if ever you decide to forever bore me to tears with your stories when you are back I'll soon turn the volume off......just kidding!!!Just hearing from that fellow Baldini is the best boost for us the over 65....and following on that idea I've just received my ice crampons and I cannot wait to hit your enemy # 1 the mountains...Keep up the good work but make sure you also enjoy the views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whats going on with your trip John,is it solo or has your Partner recovered?

      Delete
  11. Grant you are the man !!! But I only have one question so far , why is it that when ever you are in a photo you make the others look good :) ??? lol

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that really you Joe,you didnt tell me to PEDAL PEDAL PEDAL

      Delete
  12. Hi Grant, good to see you have made it out of Brisbane & escaped all those crazy Italians...mate you know that race is nothin but a lot of bullshitters...they bullshit so much they sincerely believe their own stories. Poor buggers, must be tough when their manly heritage has been carved in marble for the world to see that all Italian blokes have 2 inch peckers...lol

    Anyway, mate you are def in paradise now, close to Noosa on the GPS, bloody beautiful up that way and good weather ahead.

    By the way, where is that useless bro of yours...cant see any of his smart blogs...Hmmm maybe he is still recovering from the last ride in 2010...?

    All the best mate

    Frzop

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gino was checked out a declared a winner. Pietro didnt need to be checked out ,he was the real deal for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my God, all I've read about is men and their bodies and being constipated, so I'll start with the last first, Do I have to eat those little grapes and slices of exotic fruit they bring around on the tray after I've finished my meal at 35,000 feet?
    I'm glad I've left Wietnam or your 'supporters' in the "Corner Bar" Vung Tau would be getting worried, men this, men that, lets all take off our shirts and look at each other, no wonder poor little Joy was blushin' (or was that hot flushes? What I'd give for a 12" David, instead of the monster I've got :-)

    Love your Work

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grant, you are looking very trim in the photos. Make sure your diet is providing everything you need because if it isn't your health may suffer and you need to keep your strength up for the rest of the journey. At least you won't be using as much energy to keep warm now that you are away from the cold southern states. I'll email your photo to Laver's Hill Council and see if they can make life easier for us bike riders in the future! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pietro this morning on our departing hug said, like i say to all my young guys,EAT,EAT,EAT.

      Delete
  16. Let me start with the last first,everybody knows that a 12"Davide Bluce has an e on the end of it.. (e is for enough) Thought of you today Big Fellow as i pulled the big rig onto the Bluce Highway bitumen and started to grind out the Kms with blue sky all around bathed in sunshine as i remembered what you where saying two weeks ago. "GO NORTH BOY,GO NORTH" Yes, about the blog,like Joy said at least im mixing it up a bit .LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello again Grant, you are doing mighty fine. One more state to go and b4 you know it you'll be home. Pearl is missing you big time lol..Well done grant. mm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary ,good to hear from you. Do you realise i am not half way yet? What else did my girl have to say?

      Delete
    2. Ummmmmmmm yes I know you are not half way yet but the fact that u are already in QLD already is a GOLD MEDAL. Faster than expected. GO Grant.

      Delete
  18. Hi Grant! yes it is definitely solo, my partner seems to have health and very very serious financial problems all at the same time!!! He is devastated at the moment as everything is fast going pear shape all around him. My feeling is that he might have overplayed his hand in these economic circumstances in long winded projects and it all went south by the look of it.Hopefully for him there's a plank floating somewhere to rescue him but it does not look good for all I know at this stage.In any case I've psyched myself up into doing it on my own and I am very much looking forward to it, it will be just as thrilling I'm sure only different that's all just like you mate solo on the big ride en enjoying every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hoops!! and enjoying every bit of it, not "en" It must be my basic swedish coming through...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well,i'm sure you will team up with some other people once you get there.If you like John,and you do have internet available sometime let us all know on the blog whats happening i am sure people would be interested basically what your doing and where you are and i will wack the location on the locator at the bottom of the blog.My cuzz Bluce, is allways telling everybody on the blog where he is. That way we can have you on the highest mountains in the world and the me on the flattest part of Australia.(i hope)

      Delete
  20. Good to see you are going well, spewing about the fully submersed charger though. These things are sent to test us. Stay safe and ride well.
    Dean Harnett

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like the R and R you had at Jeanette and Pietro's has held you in good steed for your travels over the last couple of days....It's good that you had the chance to talk with Barbie.....she didn't waste a minute ringing to tell me that she'd spoken to you. She and Uncle Jim had great fun ribbing each other about which football team was the best and I know that she'll miss those random newspaper cuttings that he would send. Take heed of Pietro's dietary advice and look after yourself as you continue your travels north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i was very happy to catch Barbie on skype, she looks great and so happy with life surrounded by caring people who she can ring anytime and talk about anything , mainly football and the tipping while the season is in full swing.. A lot of her phone calls to the house where on loud speaker and she is very funny and sharp and gives Pietro a run for his money. She has Pietro wrapped around her little finger. Together they have some interesting conversations on the phone both trying to trick each other.She loves it and so does the big fellow..........And your not wrong tabout he R and R , it was great and Pietro's diet going O.K. but i am finding it hard to eat the 60 eggs a day he used to when he was in competition let alone carry them on the bike.

      Delete
    2. That much protein does sound a bit extreme!

      Delete
  22. oops....that's stead not steed (a working animal) but then again I suppose that could be an appropriate word given the amazing progress you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heard on the grapevine that you had some company today. Hope it made your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes,all will be revealed in the blog but not tonight. im in a tent tearing into a full chook and consuming more calories than ten men 30 kms from Gin Gin

    ReplyDelete
  25. Replies
    1. A big uncontrollable smile appeared on my face when i read this.Does this mean you are going to start to blog.OMG

      Delete
  26. Where's the half way point Grant? Can't be far away now ...
    How are u going to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I see by the tracker you are near Monduran Dam. We used to go there for picnics when I was a kid and my advice to you is to beware of the cane toads especially if you use a flushing toilet. They like to live under the rim and it's a scary sight when you have finished sitting , then watching the flushing water and see the arms and legs of the toad that you have unknowingly sat so close to flailing about in the swirling water. I have been scarred for life by that experience. Tim reckons you should eat 2 chooks in a sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So...RAT ..has made me smile, as well.
    I knew you couldn't keep a great rodent down.
    Welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tear into those chooks Slugger,you gonna need em for the ticker tape parade into Mackay base camp!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nay ,can't seem to pedal too well latley on all this food intake but i reckon i could can bench over 300kg

      Delete
  30. Hi Grant, mate are you clocking up some K's at the moment...you in a hurry to get some place or what. Gladstone...great place if you're a redneck...mate keep an ear our for that deliverence soundtrack

    Pedal faster

    Frz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not going to Glady,following the Highway number one to Rocky and beyond.

      Delete
  31. whats up coach are u there yet.

    ReplyDelete