27 June 2012

DAY 73 & 74

Day 73 started as usual this time from Proserpine, backing down the outside stairs of the pub i had stayed at with  the sun coming up. Only this time with a girl all dolled up following me down and i could tell wanting me to hurry as she wanted to get some place or just out of that place. Pretty hard to smile and act cool  wearing my tights and green jacket, all at the same time hanging on to a 50kg arkward object descending backward, but I think i did O.K.
Then off into it, pedaling and waiting for the body to tell me how its  going to treat me today. Something i have no control over. The body is like a computer when you start off , it takes everything into consideration as how much you have pushed the day before,wind direction ,rain, temperture, hills, calorie intake, positive and negative thoughts etc etc. The list goes on forever but i dosen't take long before you know what the answer is, good or bad.
Thankfully, today the answer was good and with a tail breeze and the land flat , made good ground to a place called Home Hill.The scenery around here these last couple of days has been great, if you like Sugar Cane plantations.
The sugar canes everywhere.

On arriving in town i asked at a motel how much were there rooms,  they said  $95 and i said thanks, and am now in the  $30 Pub with more stairs but i don't mind carrying the bike up for $65.lol. Had a counter meal there and went to my room as all the big macho men wanted to watch H... & A... at the bar tele. Out with the lappy and checked all the weather forecasts and fell asleep.

More photo's for the room 3 St Paul Primary School,Mildura
Annabells my name and i'm hungry.

Tyler is my name,lets go for a ride.

I'm Blake the snake

Hi i'm Big Bird,Nacinta.
Day 74 started a bit late from Home Hill as i just couldn't get moving. Though once on the bike and the veins opened up  the blood started pumping , i was in the zone.  Passed the town of Ayr and just kept going toward Townsville. On arriving the sign said City or Cairns and of course i went ,Cairns it is. Then not too far up the Highway it turns into a Motorway and no bikes allowed. What do i do?, thinking that i had finished with all these Motorway problems earlier in the big cities. To hell with the rules , here goes and off i go. About 5 km down the completly safe Motorway some workers are there stuffing around with witches hats. To me thats all there ever do and not much actual road work gets done in Queensland. This is when it gets weird, this guy see's me from a distance and starts walking fast toward me and holding both hands out as though to stop me going any further. I'll try and paint a picture of his look, orange overalls with Traffic Control written across them and a walky talky sticking out the front, fat ,red long hair and pulled up under his hat. Teeth with exposed gums that shot out while he was screaming WTF ARE YOU DOING ON THE RING ROAD. I then said quietly, can i get off at the next exit because i'm trying to get to Cairns. NO he said screaming,TURN AROUND AND GO BACK. I then said that would be more dangerous. He goes , I DON'T F...... CARE .Well i then let him have both barrels, DON'T YOU F....... SWEAR AT ME IM GOING TO REPORT YOU and then took off and made a run for it up the Motorway while he is again screaming.  I'M GOING TO GET THE POLICE ONTO YOU AND I HOPE YOU GET RAN OVER. One good thing about these interactions with these weird people you forget about the pain your in while riding, because the hate kicks in. Thinking that Mr Plod would be soon beeping me to pull over, i came across a women putting a sign up and she said ,"how you going". "Good thanks" ,i said, " i know i shouldn't be on this road but if i take the next exit can i weave my way up toward Cairns"?. And she said,as she touches me on the arm, "no, if i was you stay on this Motorway and about 10km it will turn into the Bluce." I smiled and told her about the Red Haired Baboon in a orange suite with teeth and gums to die for abusing me. This quite spoken helpful lady new exactly who i was on about and started frothing at the mouth using words to descibe him you wouldn't hear in the roughest pub in the Australia. 
True to her word i was soon back in my comfort zone , The Bluce Highway. I stopped not long after to buy some food and then the drizzle started and have ended up in a upmarket ,with everything, Donga type room about 27km out from Townsville in the Bluewater Caravan Park. I'm feeling pretty good about everything at the moment, it might be the excitement of seeing my Big Sis and her partner Steve in Cairns. She always brings the best out of me. 
I'd Sue them Meg.

Thats deep
Daniel T,J,B. 

Move over Scout ,this is Snout


This is what i've been looking for, to prove that these Northern Queenslanders are out there. A  fish hanging on a street sign ,and it is a frequent habit which is not healthy. Definitely Duelling Banjo stuff.
HOOROO
Grant
.














31 comments:

  1. Hey mate, still going strong I see,I know what your thinking, ( 2 blogs in a week, wth), its just that I couldn't resist being 1st cab off the rank! Hey listen, about the Home and Away thing at the pub, I've been wanting to come clean for a while, Sooo.. here it is! I WATCH IT TOO!!! I hope we can still be mates! Sue wants to know if the Baboon had pink butt cheeks? Love your work, keep on pedlin:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red necks Grant all Queenslanders are red necks and I watch Home and Away also lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all,i know two good ones down in Brisbane.

      Delete
    2. But we don,t live in Brisbane??

      Delete
  3. You need to go on a bike ride to clear the head mate.These Qld's from the North haven't advanced from all those years ago when we used to work with them in the desert. It dosen't cut with me to talk about the economy and politicians at the bar then demand to leave the channel on H&A. And about the Baboon,i'm trying to forget about that idiot let alone the colour of his filthy cheeks,please.lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Grant, just checked your progress on the Nav & you are doing good...you'll be in Cairns before you know it. I see you have just passed Magnetic Island this morning...suprised you didnt drop in to relive your past...thought you might have gone looking for that watch you lost all those years ago...?

    I wouldnt worry about that nut job screaming at you about getting off his road...clearly he is sick of having that same arguement with his lolly pop stick & losing out so turning his frustration to you...idiot! Anyone that knows you will understand he is clearly better having his arguement with the stick.

    Re Snout...good looking mutt if you like wimpy dogs

    Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh that was a spin out that watch,i could hear the alarm go off every mornig at 6 but buggered if i could find it.It was only a cheepy and not water proof so it died in the arse eventually.
      Mate ,the red headed alien with the teeth was no loly pop guy,he was important and had a waly talky and i think i know where the 4kg battery for it was
      And how did you know Snout was whimpering after i finished with her?

      Delete
  5. Well as you know I love talking economy and politics and no I'm not a fan of Home and Away....So like yourself I don't think I would last very long in the main bar drinking beer and talking rubbish with the locals.... That being said I actually worked in the sugarcane in my previous incarnation in Innisfail!!!! but that also didn't last long. I saw you were fortunate enough to meet a dedicated Queenland's road worker....although a red hair redneck but fully committed all the same ...and running... now you'll have to admit that one of those running his indeed a rare encounter....I guess he didn't want to stand for a picture either... a pity though...the silly sod missed his chance on becoming one of this blog's legends ....so just as well you gave him both barrels. As for my own adventure, we are now five days before lift-off.

    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mate its quite interesting listening to the Bar flies the way they talk about there hero's, Tony Rabbit, Joe Wobley and Malcolm Talkbull.

      Innisfall tomorrow hopefully,and i will make sure i give the welcome sign a salute for you. How are they cutting all that cane without you?lol

      Also John you say......we are now five days before lift-off.....is B... back on track or is it just a manner of speaking?

      Delete
  6. Another great day of riding by the looks. I see you are at Cardwell. My grandparents used to love that place. In their retirement they used to travel north each winter (to get away from the cold Brisbane weather) and camp a couple of months at Cardwell. Today is Maeve's 7th birthday and I was reminiscing about her 5th birthday that we celebrated at your place with Pat & Jim and by going to see Shrek at the Innaloo cinemas. Hope you are feeling like a Mr Fantastic and that Hearse is rearing to finish off the last bit of north before you have to head west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to Maeve xxxxxxx

      Yes i was in two minds to stay at Cardwell but i found a nice Two Storey unit overlooking the bay,magnificent .Everybody else was there sitting out the front too with there big guts , drinking and smoking, so i thought why can't i spoil myself after a longish ride.lol

      Yes, the body is itching to turn left but i can't rush these things, might end up though like the Grey Hound chasing the rabbit once Bluce says ,indicate left now. But i doubt it,steady as she goes Captain.

      Delete
  7. I didn't know what you meant by the H..and A..
    Thank goodness other bloggers let me in on the secret. I was trying to figure out what the H stood for as I thought the A was clearly...you know!
    Anyway...say good day to Deb for us and your blogs are getting better and better. Perhaps it is more the "people" you meet on the way?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The reason i used H and A was because a previous coment was deleted by the author when the full name was used.

    I know the blogs are killing you Linds but theres only so much i can write about after 75 days of the same thing. Hang on, i know what i can do, i'll make stuff up.

    Be patient and i'm sure there will be some juicy stuff at Debs whether she likes it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Mate, good see you are coming closer. Nice blogs and pics too...have a goodday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grant, will you please stop upsetting my Qld roadworker mates trying to keep the motorways safe from Rogue pushy riders.Glad you in the Zone even though we gotta throw a couple rednecks at you to keep you on your toes-Katter coming to a town near you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep Katter away from me mate,i'm likely to lose it and do something stupid if i see him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. can u come back coach i want my job back...lol....running perth underground services doesnt do it for me

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in big trouble,I'm back in this hell called 'Nam' while I sit in my hotel room getting softer, Charlie squats in the jungle getting harder! The reality is I can't get into 'Around the Paddock' because of firewall problems with the vietnamese govt, so I'm doing it this way?
    Don't despair Glant I'm watching from afar...well trying to.
    I'll be here for 30 days for my sins.
    LyW

    ReplyDelete
  14. What do you mean you can't get on the blog,your on the blog arn't you? jesus, if your not on who's gunna tell me to turn left. Hey. wait a minute.....Maybe....................an ex coach ......perhaps .......mmmmmmm......i wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just a manner of speaking mate. I will definitely be solo in the mountains as I'm afraid B...is in deep financial troubles which at the moment seem to loom larger than his health issues....not good... The man was doing very well but maybe travelling a little too close to the financial edge... and for all I know the house of cards appears to be coming down big time...I'm not privy to all the details but it certainly doesn't look good from where I stand. Proof that one never knows what's around the corner......poor bugger..

    Make the freedom of the ride your own, as you know it's all in the journey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh well you'll be OK. up there on top of the mountain Yodling your way along.Now come on give me the starting point and finishing point in English and the distance and time frame. Don't be shy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keep trucking mate your doing well. looking fit and strong.i was looking at your map and thinking boy you've done some k's. hope the legs are holding up.
    Cheers Deano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How i look doe's not give you the full story sometimes how i feel but keep those coments coming in and you will drag me over the line one way or another.

      Delete
  18. Hot Damm, 'they' let me back on this morning, I can't tell you how i did it but "Thats Classified".

    It's like some sort of drug, I've got my 'fix', maybe it's just a taste then 'they' cut me off again till i tell them my name rank and serial number, or worse still "Where is he now"???

    You know how it goes, "I wuv you long time" if you tell me where he is? But no i don't give in that easily.

    Cheers Big Guy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Be careful Bluce .....it could be a trap. Good cop Bad cop stuff. ....Hey it's, O.K to tell them where i am, they would never believe you that i'm at Debs place anyway near Cairns,but for crying out loud don't tell them where i'm going.........There's already a mad Rambo type guy the police are hunting in the Northern Territory who cut a guys head off and fled into the bush . the headless guys name was Edward Kelly .OMG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly I thought Kurtz is his name, he's a law unto himself, it's Apocolypse Now all over again, me in 'Nam' and you out there with your followers, you know it smells,it smells of .........Victory!

      Send big hugs to Deb's.

      Delete
  20. Hi Deb
    so he has arrived with Jim in tow?
    Great for another friendly, family get together hehehe
    He loves lasagna

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not worry Grant I'm really looking forward to it. Here are the details of this part of the GR10:From the starting point which is "Arrens-Marsous" to the end point "Bagneres de Luchon", there is 300 kms with a total of 11,012 metres of ascent and 11,240 metres of descent.To give you a base for comparison,from "Base Camp" to the "Summit of Everest" there is 3514 metres and from the lowest starting point to Base Camp there is 2470 metres. Of course the altitude is very different(Everest is 8848 metres...)and all the difficulties associated with it. The highest pass and almost certainly still covered with snow will be "La Hourquette D'Ossoue" at 2734 metres and is the starting point to climb the highest peak on the french side of the Pyrenees "Vignemale"at 3298 metres and to get to it one must traverse de "Ossoue glacier" which is 7 kilometres wide at this point. All together there are 8 passes ranging from 2200 to 2734 metres. But I also intend to climb the "Pic du Midi de Bigorre" at 2872 metres on top of which there is a well known celestial observatory.It will take me all up 19 days including two days of rest one of which is in "Germ" where I will be able to watch our Cadel Evans in the Tour de France in one of their most strenuous ascent of the Pyrenees. But for now I twisted my back a little bit so hopefully this will not last more than a few days and I will be,like you,ready to attack on the 4 of July.

    I'll try to get on the blog before Sweden so keep pedalling and the best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good on you John,very exciting stuff. I will put your starting point on my location button at the bottom of my blog on the 4th and the finishing point again on the 23rd, both times with a few words to bring peopes attention to what your doing. John the French Connection, a 67year old ledgend living the dream.

    ReplyDelete