14 May 2012

Day 29 to 30

Yes its me again. For my records only but if you want to read it go ahead.Day 29 was a good day with a slight breeze pushing me into Port Augusta from Cowell. Met a couple of cyclists on my travels Paul and Will. Paul is one of the 10 guys racing across the world (18000miles) but when i asked him how he was going he told me that he is not enjoying it and is not sure what he is going to do,give up or keep going.I told him to stay positive as i rode off with the breeze
What gets me with these blokes they  hardly carry any gear, i think the more unsure of yourself the more you carry as security. You guys seen the size of my panniers hahaha

Paul,not a happy chappy about the whole ordeal and he hasn't hit the Nullabor yet.







The other guy Will, really looked like he was on a mission. Flew into Adelaide from Sydney and is just doing the Eyre Peninsular. His bag at the back on his bike looked like some sort of rocket launcher and i was looking for the wick to light and propel him into the Flinders Ranges
Now are you sure I'm pointing in the right direction when you light my wick  because if I'm a couple of degrees out i will end up in the ocean
Ended up staying in a little motel at P.A. Went across the road to have a counter meal at the pub and again for the third pub that i have done this in a row waited forever for my meal. Sitting in a pub surrounded by gambling machines flicking and T.V with every race going on known to man,dogs trots,horses etc from every part of the world is not my cup of tea. Hope they never get to our pubs. I cant make sense of whats going on with all the numbers and tots but the drunks know it all and fill out things and feed things into machines as though its natural.Still each to there own.


Day 30 i new i was going to have a headwind all day but feeling allright took off and ended up doing o.k and am now at Crystal Brook booked into a nice little pub (30 bucks and a free lemon squash,empathy)
Again met two more bikers,Sue from Japan (male) and Ogen(don't know) from Port Perie
My names SUE and how do you DOO. Nice chap ,had ridden from Cairns,down around to Adelaide now up to Darwin then to Perth, big effort.
 While talking to Sue another biker was coming along the road towards  us and i couldn't but notice that he was loaded with panniers to the hilt and i thought he must be going a huge distance. But he kept getting off the bike about 5 times and picking up things i thought he was dropping all the time. Certainly a hard way to go around Aussie if you haven't got your stuff tired up properly and have to get off the bike every 20 metres.When he finally reached us he asked us where we a heading and we told him and i asked where he is going and he told me just down the road,Port Perie,I'm collecting cans at 10 cents each and have about 30 bucks worth. I immediately thought of Bluce as a  retirement plan.
The man himself,Ogen.The photo doesn't quite show the load on the back of his bike and on his back .,i saw it as he took off and was amazed he could carry so much.Good on him instead of sitting on his bum and doing nothing. Pocket money and cleaning the road.Australian of the year i reckon.

These caravans are getting bigger every year.
Well that's all for my records folks,don't forget its SHOW TIME IN SNOWTOWN tomorrow.Bye for now.



7 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog Day 30, young man.
    Pics really make the reality of what you're doing, come home to us poor sit-at-homes you mention.
    I could just see Bruce, getting out of the Beemer, Frainy in the driver's seat, and he picking up cans every few metres. Imagine the arguments? "Frainy, there's a can we missed back there. Could you reverse for me to get it?" hehehehee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a bit more like it, an Australia wide pub crawl. Not sure about the lemon squash though. Good to see the excellant progress your making and the interesting characters your meeting on the road must make the whole thing that little bit more enjoyable. Try not to upset the locals in Snowtown, and maybe do your banking elsewhere. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with the amount of folk that you have met 'on the road' on bikes, love the can guy, even looks like me!
    I'll ignore the comment about me picking up cans from the Beema from my brother, but by the way Grant, how much does Ogen get per can???
    Keep on truckin' big guy, Adeliade just ahead then those Victorians await you.
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew no more bikies lol hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. daniel jackson14 May 2012 at 20:46

    hi grant all is well here , mowed the lawn today , me and pete have been doing some weekend gardening work ,looks like i will be going back to philippines later in the year. pearl is happy and well , stay positive , il blog you again soon .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear. Going back to the Philippines, does that mean your in love or still looking for love? Please explain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grant even i was spooked out by your blog on Snow Town. I hope all is going well and Paul gets hold of you tomorrow,it would be great to hear you on the radio again. Stay safe Deano

    ReplyDelete