23 May 2012

Day 36 to 39

Day 36 i left Mt Gambier after staying at the Jens Pub which certainly had the best staircase access to my room

Amazing how i was complaining about the tightness of the staircases and then i come across  this one.
Huge Pub with huge balconies and restaraunts but the room was a bit out with the scale of everything else. Bit like a big pigeon coup with little nesting boxes,still at $70  who's complaining in the centre of town.
The Pigeon Box.

JENS
Before leaving Mt Gambier,Herse (because he is carrying Jim) ,my iron horse wanted one more sniff of the pink lady bikes in the window at Daves bike shop around the corner. Took a quick photo and was off.
eeeehhhhhnnnnggghhhh      pppsssssshhhhshh. Herse talk
Ten kms out of Mt Gambier and the first flat tyre. Sorted that out and off to the Victorian Border and away from these South Australians.
Funny how as i was taking this photo i imagined Liz from Snowtown to come out and stab me with a big kitchen knife and say, got you ya baaasstttaaarrrd grinning.
Then on to Nelson for a sandwich and a cuppa before heading to Portland with Jim(dec) to visit where his Father had died at a dance.Plus after many phone calls to Pat from my Auntie Betty,where is he,where is he,i was to meet her there with an ex priest from Horsham.The plot thickens. Got there and cruised the main street but no Aunt only Mr plod telling me to put my helmet on as usual.Then off to Port Fairy(I'm sure that's where my friend Keith comes from) Arrived in the dark and stayed at the Youth Hostel,showered ,fed myself and relaxed while Linds  was having kittens about me being under some bush frozen because the tracker said so.lol
Day 37 I left Port Fairy and rode toWarrnambool then to Petersborough along the the Great Ocean Road with a tail wind. Took photos along the way and kept meeting the same people at each stop because i wasn't dawdling.
12 Apostles

G.O.R
G.O.R


London Bridge


Just past the 12 Apostles,finally after many phone calls,Monica hunted me down with her girlfriend Linda and her boy. Monica wanted to do some kms with me over a couple of days.(Who is Monica?)Monica is the wife of a mate of mine and a very good mate of Jim(dec) who is a plumber who lived with me many years ago in Perth and are now living in a place called Magpie just outside Ballarat.She has 7 children,all hers and Tim's.She reckons I'm living her dream and says she wants to experience  and taste what its like to ride all day to you drop. Well she certainly picked the wrong day to join me because it was only 30 kms to the top of Lavers Hill but what a hill. More like a mountain.
Getting ready. (symster see the sign)

Lovers Hill here i come.

After getting organised she took off like a rabbit and i told her i would catch up after saying goodbye to Linda.
Well it took me a while but finally i came around a bend and there she was,sore bottom and all ,sweating and shaking and saying "i need food NOW"Had a bit of a rest and food and we where away again.
Ended up arriving at Lavers Hill in the dark and i told Monica the only room left was the Honeymoon Suite. Whatever she said . She was in no mood to worry so we renamed Lavers Hill to "Lovers Hill".Had a meal,showered in cold water with no pressure then to bed to get ready for the ride the next day which apparently the shop keeper said was 95% down hill, well i can tell you now, he is 95% bullshit because it was horrific
Lovers Hill honeymoon suite

Organised Kaos.

Day 38 Started off with a fog you couldn't see further than your nose,literally in the clouds.
Notice the cloud at the back on Lavers Hill.

These a specially bred  horses called Bullamas,cross between an English Bull Terrier and  a white horse
I think his on the same stuff as that shop keeper.

This one wanted a cuddle before i left and was asking if Herse was single.

 Again Linds another flat tyre within minutes,sent Monica off ahead again and i fixed it but it ended up having a bump in it . Got to Apollo Bay after the supposedly down hill ride (whats that shop keeper on, get me some) with Monica was already there before me but she needing to get a spoke repaired and both needed some food before we left for Lorne some 49kms down the road. Once organised off we went into the rain,wild wind and winding roads up against the mountains to our left and the beautiful rolling ocean creating some big surf on our right.
Had to be there.
On arriving in Lorne i booked another room in Mount Joy Pd and waited for Monica  to pull up wet and exhausted not long after,but eh, after 30kms up to Lovers Hill the first day then 95 kms in rain ,climbs and wind all in good time the following day and still be standing is certainly a great achievement for a spur of the moment decision.We have a Mr Fantastic( Yern) and a Mr Fantastico (Joe) Ithink we now have a Mrs Fantastic (Mony) We showered and ended up having a nice pub meal and retiring back to the room for me to check the wind reports and for Mony to watch Master Chef and then faded into a deep sleep.
Unbelievable
Day 39 Woke up to a day of rest and did my radio interview with Paul. Had a late breakfast and am now charging all the batteries and my human battery too.Big Tim came down and picked Mony up and he shook Jim's hand before he left.
Tim holding back tears shaking Jim's hand before saying goodbye.
Before i go,three cheers for Tim, a great guy for letting his lovely wife spend a couple of nights away from the hectic world of seven kids and giving her a break and probably letting her realise how bloody lucky she really is with him.lol
Tim's probably saying to Monica,now come on little one you've had your fun now get back in the kitchen and start cooking for nine everyday.lol
Talk again soon,keep the support happening and GOD BLESS.

41 comments:

  1. Hello Grant..Like the pics. MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, your quick off the mark little one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr.Kelly we shall see when you cross "that" road :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grant, well I must say; you must be taking some notice of your loyal fan's as this latest blog and pictures is briliant. " very enjoyable ". I leave for Europe Saturday, financed by Mastercard if you must know, the tablet I was taking blew up last night, 35 days old, 30 day replacement warranty, will be fixed in 2 weeks." GREAT ". hopefully I can get to a computer now and then to see how your going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got home about 4.45pm and the first thing I did was take the washing off the line that I had hung out on Monday morning before I left. Couldn't believe they had left it there! Then straight back in the car for the extracurricular activities then home again to cook a quick tea before heading off to a meeting. Declan was asking me about your bike - does it have straight handlebars or drops. He couldn't believe it when I said I didn't know (I would have guessed drops) and I still can't tell from the photos! They are a bit hidden under all your gear. Thomas asked "How was your holiday?" I replied that it was hard work and wasn't a holiday but he was adamant that if I wasn't at home working then I was definitely on holidays. Really enjoyed the ride and after this evening I am having thoughts of just riding off again on my bike into the distance!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Declan there drops. And i think Thomas is a little correct in saying that it was a holiday because you where doing what you wanted to do,getting away and going for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are truly awesome! Already an amazing pace too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a laugh at your previous comment about being 'wet alweady', for my sins of being here in Copenhagen they are sending me to 'Wietnam' next Tuesday for a couple of weeks, where I'll tune up my skills in communications and we will be able to speak to each other in foreign tounges and nobody will know what we are saying! 'You velly handsome man''I wuv you long time'!!

    Keep those photos coming.

    What a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic blog, again.
    You could stop the ride and become a full time writer, esp with the pics, too. You could write children's story books of cycle riding.
    Now for wet, cold and windy Eastern Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grant, as I told you, you are a machine. Through Geelong before lunchtime! Way to go. May the wind be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Grant, WTF...we have had weeks of magic weather & today its cold & raining...you must be getting closer to Sydney. Geelong, a strange place mate, mainly Tasmanians with the 2nd head removed...I am sure youve seen those yobbo Cats supporters on the telly...bloody bogans, they should have stayed down South along with the rest of them & those South Australians...country would be better place ex them lot.

    Mate, watch out for those tram tracks in Melb.

    Love the phots & update...keep it up

    Talk Soon

    Frzop

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Grant, good to see that you are still in great spirit, keep up the good work mate, we all enjoy the blog and the pics are fantastic. I bet you were glad to have Mony spend a few days with you, good on her with seven kids and all.... On the other hand it's not looking good for my mate Brad at the moment so it looks like I will be solo like you my lad but in the mountains...and no blog not even a good memory... Ah well as you know it's all in the here and now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mate ,take a camera and take a lot of shots for yourself and perhaps you could team up with a couple or three like when you go to the golf course by yourself.

      Delete
  13. Holy mackerole, Batman, you are nearly thru Melbourne. Tick off another capital city. At least you'll be staying away from Canberra! Too cold and full of hot wind.
    How did the Melb car drivers treat you? Aimed at you and tried to run over you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you where watching every move as i weaved my way through the maze of Melbourne to Flinders Station and Young and Jacksons where Jim and I went for a drink when we hitched across all those 37 years ago. I stood there exuasted,wet and sweating after over 4 and a half thousand kms and 40 days,looking for satisfaction but it didnt come , as if by bringing him back there it would help, but it didn't. So enough standing there, i got on the bike and just rode away to continue our adventure together,as he wasnt quite ready to leave me yet.

      Delete
  14. Machines need maintenance. I would suggest quite a few magnesium tablets before bedtime. Fantastic effort today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Big Thanks,Mony xxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Delete
  15. Hi Grant....Lorraine here! Spent yesterday in Melbourne with Barbara and have to say that the weather was particularly cold and windy....brrrrrrr(even though I come from Ballarat and most would say that I should be used to this kind of weather. In fact I'm not that far from Tim and Monica). Watched the DVD that Pat sent to Barb and am thinking of Uncle Jim as you continue your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. C grant you can't go anywhere without a reminder off me hey... The symster is there every corner you take i am watching you no cheating now boy...lol....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay.....success at last!!!!! Have been trying for the last couple of days to post a comment but without success. Switched from using explorer to firefox...still no joy...finally got through using safari.....now I can stay in contact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you ,what's it been 30 years ,unbelievable. We must do lunch.HAHA .Say a big hello to Barbara as i am sure she missers Jim.

      Delete
    2. Just over 33 years....it's a date if you ever find yourself in this part of the country again with some spare time up your sleeve.

      Delete
  18. Testing testing...... Gma's training

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the real PK?

      Don't you just love the technology!!!

      Delete
    2. Yep sure is neph, as in Wrigley's .this could become fun also could get hooked. What do you reckon about cuz.? Me thinks he's great good. To be in touch with you love

      aunt

      Delete
  19. Yeh copy..loud and clear....over and out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Watch this space.....the queen of blog is about to step up. So stand by .need more practice. You're going terrific. That's my boy. How.s the stowaway going? He'll keep you safe.
    Goodnight for now...sleep well will speak tomorrow love

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Slugger, through Melbourne already!!!Do I need to start thinking about the dinner menu for your much anticipated stopover??
    I was out yesterday with KK and she asked me if it was too far to walk back from the shops if I dropped her off.I said most people can walk at 7kmh and as it was only 500m from the apartment she should be able to make it back.Still unconvinced I reminded her that "Grant is riding Australia for G-ds sake" and we both had a laugh.
    Good to see you through Melbourne,cant imagine what it would be like going through on a pushie-Ventnor St nightmare I imagine-keep up the legendary performance and stay dry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Melbourne already!!!! Melbourne is a great place and looks like you have picked a lovely suburb to stay in, StKilda is really nice! Thank god they cleaned it up years ago as it use to be the biggest brothel suburb, now moved to Footscray!!! It's a very trendy suburb...sure you will fit in well!!! The way you are going you will be here next week...haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. No way ,im moving to Footscray now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Who is this PK we will now have to put up with? Jackie, did you finally explain things to her?
    Wait til she finds Facebook lol
    Have you started to hear voices from the small package yet, Grant? He would be dieing (pun) to give directions, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad to see you took a day off to recharge your batteries on Wednesday 'cause it looks like you're getting back into some hilly stuff about now, but if the tram tracks and the left-lane right hand turners in Melbourne didn't put you off then the rest is a breeze. Or maybe a howling gale - weather man on TV says east coast is having a "rain event", so get into all the coffee stops along the way and stay warmed up. Fantastic photos along Great Ocean Road - beautiful part of the world if you can stop to enjoy it. South Coast NSW is something to look forward to, so keep taking taking lots of photos - I want to be there with you (but just as a spectator, not like Monica who did the hard yards with you - great effort!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain event is an understatement.Totally got wet through with the constant rain and then stopped to have a coffee as YOU suggested at Lochn .Not a good idea,body temperture dropped and when i came out of the shop nearly had a seashure,,teeth rattling and body shaking like i was being electricuted.Thanks for the good advice about stopping in coffee shop Docs.lol

      Delete
  26. I hope at 1.30 Friday, the tracker is telling me you are holed up out of the freezing rain and wind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tracker is not telling fibs.I am bunkered up in Lock at a hotel. Just had a boiling half hour shower and now sitting on a open wood fiire WITH my teeth are still uncontrollably shaking together after my near death experiance of the Vic weather.

      Delete
  27. The weather is atrocious. Tim has gone to work to unblock a few sewers dressed like he is ready for a trip to Antarctica on a whaling expedition. Save yourself for better weather - 50 kms in bad weather might be 150 kms in better conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Always finish the blog having enjoyed a good laugh. I usually use the time on the train on the way home to check out the blog on my phone to see what you have done while I have been at work. I feel I am part of the crowd as everyone else on the train is either checking their phones, wired to their Ipod or sharing every detail of the personal lives in a very loud voice (there is always one!). Photos are a little difficult on the phone but I have a second look at home to check out the detail.

    Linds I did not teach Pat how to put comments on - she has had secret lessons - not sure who the culprit is that set this tiger free.

    The radio interview was great this week - Daniel and I sat in the car park at the train station (yes I do a lot of public transport these days) and we enjoyed every minute. I see your hits are up so the radio listeners must have taken your advice to log on.

    Keep safe and stay warm..Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm not sure if that's where I come from, but it sounds like it's somewhere I belong!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wheres the beard mate i thought it would be a Grizzly Adams job by now. Your looking good keep going and ride hard. Love the truck photo,did you cause that one?
    Keep Trucking and ill listen out for you on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete