31 May 2012

Day 47

Day 47 started in Victoria and finished in N.S.W. I  dragged myself to the Border which was only 14 kms this morning and continued to Eden some 45 km on. Dodging log trucks become the sport of the day as the roads haven't got that much of a shoulder on them to ride in N.S.W . Just another thing to keep you on ya toes.
Wasn't happy about leaving  Vic but the show must keep moving forward.

This load going to the Mill ,most go to be wood chipped.The driver warned me about the tight roads and bridges
After lunch at Eden, i looked at the wind report for the next couple of days as i was pushing now into a N.E. The report said that E and N.E  where on for tomorrow but a S was forecast on Saturday with a 90% chance of rain .So  I've decided to take a rest at a place called Merimbula all Friday even though it killed me to head off the main road to get to it.
Being a two night stop i thought the Back Packers sounds more economical as really i only need the basics.Tracked it down on the other side of the Bay and met the women and she said 32$  for dorm or 55$ for your own room. I''ll take the single and live it up. She then said have i got a towel and i said no. That will be 2$, oh o.k. And theres 10 $ deposit for the key. No worries. I will show you the room .looking around i was the only one booking in. When she showed me the room it was the most basic room i have ever seen on my travels ,sterile and cold, and i thought , 2 days in there. Stay calm Grant.Then i said is it o.k to bring my bike in because i have all my gear and more convenient it to be near me. No way she said, OK,stay calm Grant. Then she shows me the kitchen and i said, have you got coffee making facility's and she looked at me and said no,if you want a coffee I'll make it for you. So i calmly said, can i be really rude. She said what do you mean.I want to book out of here NOW i said.Much tension getting the hell out of there and now i am in the Lakeside Pub for 79$  with a view and includes everything imaginable. Bit of trivia but gee I'm happy and i needed to share that with you.HaHa.  So this is where i will be for the next two nights for a rest of the body:-)
Did the righty and re registered the bike
Talk later,Grant 

7 comments:

  1. Enjoy Merimbula what a great place to have a two day stop off great stuff Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great view from your pub.
    Another well told story of the "Life of the long distance bike rider."
    Must have been a nice lady at the backpackers. I wonder what she'd be like to young foreign visitors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's Grant talking. At least you have a much better place to stay for your $$$. Have a good rest. mm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what I'd give for 2 days off???

    I know what it's like to stay in a poorly serviced hotel, hell, last night the Orchards and Chocolates turned up late with the 'turn-down' lady. 'So solloy' she said to me then she said "How's Glant going"?

    Rest up big guy..... I'll try to do the same, this weekend using you as my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grant, great to hear your progress & that you are doing well. That Merimbula is a beautiful spot we have a week down there over Xmas break with the kids on the way back from Melbourne. That stretch of coast line to Sydney is magic but you will see sweet stuff all from the main road...you really have to get onto some of the roads leading to the beaches. Particuarly around Jervious Bay...bloody magic.

    Keep it up

    Frzop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello , grant , I always put any comments on the last available blog , so don't understand how it wasnt on the last blog , it makes sense to !!!!
    Anyway , went and visited your two favorite girls (Joy and Pearl ) for a coffee and a chat . Pearl misses you , as much as you miss her !!!
    She asked me to pass a message to you Woof ,woof, Wooof , woof ! I hope you understand . :)

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Grant, How are you mate? I see that you are pushing relentlessly ahead with or against the wind but more importantly enjoying every bit of it... That's the spirit! I liked when you said in a previous blog and I quote "I haven't been in a bad mood a single day since I left Perth" Hell! why would you be ???? Of course there are the tougher rides and challenging weather some days but funny enough they are usually the ones that latter on come to mind first when it's time to reminisce about the Great Bike Ride .... Just like in the Pyrenees I guess, the harsher the Pass the sweeter the memories...Enjoy mate and reminds me never to look for that nightmarish Back Packer place!!!!

    ReplyDelete